We're on the move...

After you read our final post here,catch up on our revamped blog at www.TheMillerSpot.com. See you soon!

Monday, February 1, 2010

We meet again! And in a different year, no less. If January is any indication, 2010 is fulfilling its promise of making 2009 seem like a bad dream. 

It's been a fast first month. Don't you think? I think we always say that, but it feels especially true. Let's see, I think the last time I was here we were recovering from Snowpocalypse 2009. Who knew that we'd end January the same way? It's true. We've already had Snowpocalypse 2010.

Ugh. 

Maybe we can try to not make this a monthly happening. The funny thing is, I was completely confident that we were on the downhill slide to balmy, beautiful, live-with-the-crazy-summer-and-winter-just-to-experience-it spring. I had practically put the Uggs in storage and busted out the short sleeves. Oh well... Uggs are comfortable. And I love a cozy cardigan. I'll try to pass the time, somehow.

Kevin and I made it out of a town for a quick trip to Las Vegas. Ahhh, sweet relief from reality. I would have been okay with an extra day or so, but really Vegas is made for short journeys. Kevin entered his first-ever poker tournament and placed....THIRD. How card-shark amazing is that? It was his first time even sitting at an actual table (And not playing online...tee hee.) Hmmm, I could totally stand being a professional poker player's wife. Hanging out in the Penthouse suite while he's down making a year's worth of money in a weekend.

Other big news? We are flippers once again! (Did you hear trumpets?) This is good news. Great news, in fact. Kevin's been floating around for awhile now. Trying to find just where and what we were supposed to be doing in life. After the restaurant didn't pan out, I know he was feeling like life was giving him no more than a huge kick in the privates. I mean, really. What do you do when you can't do what you've always done? 

Many long talks and hard discussions later and we came to the conclusion that this was an opportunity for him to do ANYTHING HE WANTS. Not an opportunity many people get 10 years into a career. Turns out, Kevin kind of hates the restaurant business. But he LOVES working with his hands. Doing projects. Building and creating. Even more discussions later and we decided to dive back into home renovation. The fact of the matter is, we both LOVE houses. We move constantly. We look at houses even when we aren't buying. I mean, honestly, we move every two years. We just love it. So there, do what you love. Be happy. And the money will follow.

We. Shall. See. 

Other quick quips from this month: 
  • NEVER let them use clippers on your son's head unless you're okay with his curls disappearing. 
  • Birthday parties at piano bars are very fun (Happy 30th, Jen!)
  • Sometimes you really can connect with long, lost friends on Facebook.
  • Sucky builders will last long after closing.
So, apparently when you don't post for a month, the posts are long. If you're still with me, I'm presenting my goals for this so-far, so-great year. 

GOALS:
  1. Work on expanding the Miller Family (and I don't mean get another dog, people).
  2. Buy, renovate, and sell at least TWO, and likely THREE houses. 
  3. Attain my real estate license (more on this later, but it had to happen eventually)
  4. Try to expand my writing to more creative and less means-to-an-end. (sometimes I feel like if I take another writing job I'll poke both of my eyes out. A good sign that I need a break.)
  5. Convert our entire photo library to digital and organize it in a useful way.
  6. New truck for Kevin.
  7. Become a less sucky cook (yep, I set my goals high) and experiment with real recipes. 
  8. Read more (I'm joining a book club so that should help).
  9. Stay connected with my friends in a more substantial way (sometimes it seems impossible!).
  10. Potty-train Riley and work on narrowing down preschools (practically a full-time job in Edmond, OK).
Okay, I'm sure I have more, but that seems like a good, solid list. Maybe I should have added "blog more than once a month." I'll try that one anyway. Only 11 months to go.... 

2 comments:

Jaimie said...

2010 has just begun and already I can tell that you guys are going to have a great year! I am so excited about your flip--I can't wait to see more in-progress pictures! and I know you will totally hit all your goals this year.

I am so happy for the Millers…and good luck with the potty training. Riley is so much smarter than other little boys that I think you will hit that mark faster than ordinary…especially since he knows when he's pooping! ha ha!

and you better start posting books from your book club on your blog!

wattcass said...

love that you joined a bookclub! lemme know what you're reading. here's a recipe i just tried & love: http://www.foodreference.com/html/peanut-seneg-214.html . kudos to kevin. love you guys!